Canada HyperBanner Advertisement

Member of Canada HyperBanner


[O] Government and/or Official Sites [P] Sites by Private Individuals [L] Lawyer/Immigration Consultant Sites [I] Immigration Information
[G] General Information [U]University Sites [C]Company Sites [E] English [F] Français

Hello! My name is Neyir Cenk Gökçe. I have prepared these pages about immigration to Canada to help others who are in the same track as I am, and to share my own experiences.

I am sorry for the franchophones who would like to use this page that I cannot offer a french version of cette page, parce que mon francais n'est pas sufficient pour quelle tāche. Il y a une version d'essai franēais ici, mais il est encore en construction.

First, the basic facts. This page is mostly aimed at the Independent Category (Skilled Worker) immigrants-to-be, though most of the links and non-SW specific information found here and the linked sites can be utilized by all categories.

Canada uses a point scoring system in selecting its independent immigrants, thus trying to ensure that once admitted, these immigrants would be able to hold up their own. The immigrants are assessed on their professional, experience and linguistic skills, as well as their personal suitability as determined by the immigration officer. You will find below information about this from a variety of sources, both governmental and immigration lawyer, immigration consultant sites, up to and including free assessments.

It may occur you to ask whether you need a lawyer/consultant to succeed in the Canadian Immigration application. This is not a question to be disregarded, and it usually changes on a case-by-case basis. However, from the experiences of past successful immigrants and the postings on our newsgroup, misc.immigration.canada I can offer you a rough guideline. Please be advised that I am neither a lawyer or consultant, so this is my personal understanding, based on the sources I cite above. Also, you might want to consult several FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) maintained by several people.

You can probably succeed in your application for permanent residence in the independent category without the needing help from professionals if:

On the other hand, you would most probably need the help of professionals for the success of your application if:

Don't be misled, though, by anybody (lawyer/attorney/consultant) who claims to have special, good, etc. relationships with Canadian Immigration Officers--Canada is not like many of the countries immigrants come from, having personal contacts with immigration officers will not make an inadmissable person admissible, and it's against the law to boot. Anyone who claims they can get you in because they have special relationships should be avoided like the plague. Also, disregard those con artists who offer you an in to the US of A through immigration to Canada--first of all, Permanent Residents of Canada, unless they are Canadian Citizens, are not covered by the NAFTA agreement--landing in Canada and then going south to work in the USA can lose you your Canadian Residency and if caught by the US authorities, cause your deportation as illegal aliens.

The rest of this page deals with the degree assessment, required documents, settlement funds, and other pre-immigration stuff. Please feel free to use the below links if you have already applied for/accepted and need more information useful for the newcomer or newcomer-to-be.



There is a lot of information on the internet about Immigration to Canada, but all the information to be found can be categorized into three groups--governmental (including embassy/consulate sites), immigration professional (lawyer/attorney/consultant) and private (including this page and other immigrant made pages).

All of these three sources offer you different levels and different brands of information and as such, would best be utilized all together.

For up-to-date and strictly factual information, your best bet is to follow the governmental/offical links (marked with [O]).

Of course, strictly factual cuts both ways--some of the stuff you find on governmental sites are well-nigh unintelligible for the average person. The immigration professionals' sites (marked with [L]) offer, in addition to the other professional services they provide, insights and explanations into many CIC publications and announcements. They are also the first stop for anyone seriously considering immigrating to Canada, since they can provide you with free assessments that can help you decide whether you really want to take that crucial step.

Finally, there are the sites put together by private individuals, (marked with [P]) which can offer you what really happens, and has answers to more trivial kind of questions that necessarily escape the attention of the above two groupings.

Degree Assessment

If you do not have an undergraduate degree from a Canadian institution, you might need to get it certified by the appropriate professional body in Canada. Engineers, (excluding computer engineers/professionals) should contact the CCPE for an Informal Assesment of Engineering Qualifications, with the below information.

Before you send the package to CCPE at the above address, make sure that you have:

The Street Address of the CCPE (which stands for Canadian Council of Professional Engineers) is:

  • The Canadian Council of Professional Engineers
  • Informal Assesment Program
  • Suite 401, 116 Albert Street
  • Ottawa, ON K1P 5G3
  • Canada

    Tel: +1 (613) 232-2474
    Fax: +1 (613) 230-5759

    A similiar process should be pursued if you are a technician and/or technologist, but you should contact the CCTT (which stands for: Canadian Council of Technicians and Technologists), for it.

    The street address of the CCTT is:

  • The Canadian Council of Technicians and Technologists
  • 285 McLeod Street
  • 2nd Floor
  • Ottawa, ON K2P 1A1
  • Canada

    Tel: +1 (613) 238-8123
    Fax: +1 (613) 238-8822

    How Much Does It Cost?

    One of the important points to consider is how much it is going to cost for you to immigrate to Canada. There are three types of costs involved in the process, which can be classified as:
    • Application Fees
    • Landing Fees
    • Settlement Funds
  • The application fees for the independent category is set at 500 CAD [CAD=Canadian Dollars] per the primary applicant and his/her dependents above 19 years of age. These fees are for the processing of your application and are non-refundable, ie, even if your application for permanent residence is refused by Canadian authorities, they will not be returned to you.

  • There is a Right of Landing fee, currently 975 CAD per person [above 19 years of age] you should be paying. This fee is refundable in the case of non-acceptance of application or the returning of the immigrant visa unused.

  • Then there is the settlement funds necessary to settle in Canada. These are determined according to the size of family and the intended place of landing. The latest figures for the settlement funds can be obtained from the Citizenship and Immigration Canada web site.

    You might want to consult the currency converters section to see how these numbers translate into your local currency unit.
  • Use the below index to jump to the link of your choosing:

    # Canadian Immigration Links
    # Canadian Governmental Links
    # Canadian Maps and Weather
    # Currency Converters (to/from C$)
    # Canadian University Sites
    # Canadian Newspapers
    # Canadian Banks
    # Information Links for the Newcomer to Canada
    # Canada related Webrings
    # Travelling in/to Canada Links
    # Employement Links
    # Miscellenous Information
    # Some ISPs and FreeNets in Canada
    # Canadian Directories
    # Canadian Public and Utility Companies
    # Canadiana

    Canadian Immigration Links

    General Information

    [O] [I] Citizenship and Immigration Canada -^--^--^--^-
    This is the Canadian Government's Citizenship and Immigration Main Site. It has the essential information about the Canadian Immigration process, news, and more. Periodically check the what's new section to keep in touch with the latest announcements from the CIC. Bilingual-Bilingue

    [O] [I]Canadian Consulate, Buffalo -^--^- -^--^--^-
    After some absence, the Buffalo Consulate site is back. Buffalo is the main immigration processing center in the USA--all applications for permanent residence pass through Buffalo, NY. This is the site, at least it is even more helpful than the CIC site. You should stop by it before you do anything about immigrating to Canada; even if you are outside of the USA, there is a load of information there you can use. Bilingual-Bilingue

    [O] [I] Canadian High Commission, United Kingdom -^--^--^--^-
    The Canadian High Commission in London has general information, downloadable forms, and more on their website. London is one of the few posts which has a fast-track one-step application procedure. Bilingual-Bilingue

    [O] [I]Canadian High Commission, South Africa -^--^--^--^-
    Although this site is supposed to be geared towards the applicants from South Africa, the Online Assessment they offer is very valuable. As with other embassy sites, contains valuable information on the immigration process.

    [O] [I] Canadian High Commission, Hong Kong -^--^--^-
    The Hong Kong site is, naturally, geared for clients in Hong Kong. It has a FAQ about the immigration procedure, and immigration forms in WordPerfect format. Otherwise the information there can be found on the CIC site and the other embassy/consulate sites around the world.

    [O] [I] Canadian Embassy, Washington DC -^--^--^--^-
    The Canadian Embassy in Washington, DC, has a very nice News from Canada section and important information aimed at both American and Canadian businesses north and south of the 49th parallel. The travel information included at the site is your first stop, whether you want to visit Canada for a vacation or a convention. Also has links to other Canadian travel sites. Most of the files are available both in simple text and Adobe Acrobat (PDF) files and are very useful. Bilingual-Bilingue

    [O] [I] Canadian Consulate, New York -^--^--^--^-
    The Canadian Consulate General in New York is a very comprehensive site as consular sites go--anything they don't themselves have, they have linked to. The immigration pages also have good information, but that is about the same you could say for the other embassy/consulates. Bilingual-Bilingue

    [O] [I]Canadian Consulate, Seattle -^--^-
    A good site, overall, and has specific information aimed at the Pacific Northwest region of the United States. Also hosts the Strategic Alliance Center, for Canadian firms who want to form such in the US Pacific Northwest. For immigration, it has good articles about computer specialists intending to immigrate to Canada. Bilingual-Bilingue

    [O] [I] Canadian Consulate, Detroit -^--^-
    Another good general information consulate site, but their immigration section consists of almost all links to the CIC site. By virtue of being very close to the Canadian border (Detroit, US-Windsor,ON) has some good and specific information about cross border issues, passes et al. Bilingual-Bilingue

    [O] [I] Canadian Embassy, Tel Aviv -^--^-
    Tel Aviv also is a full immigration office and has the usual embassy information about immigration, with some specifics aimed at their local clients. Bilingual-Bilingue

    [L] [I] Campbell Cohen, Attorneys -^--^- -^--^--^-
    This site is one of the few sites which have everything you can ask for, when the issue is immigration to Canada. Mr. Cohen periodically publishes the Campbell Cohen Immigration newsletter, with such useful information like interpretations of CIC directives, worldwide immigration processing times, and the like. The site has a FAQ, Free Assessment and the Canadian DataBank which are very much useful for the prospective immigrant. Mr. Cohen is also an active participant of the newsgroup, misc.immigration.canada where he answers many questions posted by people from all over the world.

    [L] [I] Colin R. Singer, Law Offices -^--^- -^--^--^-
    Another site with loads of information pertinent to immigration to Canada. Mr. Singer is the person who first published the Canadian Immigration FAQ, the starting point of many people for the process. Additionally, he has the French, Spanish, Russian, and Chinese language versions of the FAQ on his web site. There is also a Free Assessment, and the InfoCanada Site that can be utilized by the prospective immigrant. Mr. Singer is an active participant of the newsgroup, misc.immigration.canada where he answers many immigration related questions.

    [L] [I] Guidy Mamann, Law Offices-^--^- -^--^--^-
    Mr. Mamann's site is yet another of the comprehensive sites, having all the components I think are needed on such sites, such as Information on Canada and Free Assessment. His site is also notable for the What The World Thinks about Canada informational section, which I found very useful and interesting. Mr. Mamann is also active in the misc.immigration.canada newsgroup where he answers many immigration related questions.

    [L] [I] Ron Beirnes, Immigration Consultant -^--^- -^-
    Mr. Beirnes' immigration consultant site has the Free Assessment, and other essential information about the immigration process. He also participates in the discussions in misc.immigration.canada newsgroup where he answers many immigration related questions.

    [L] [I] McPherson, Elgin & Cannon, Barristers & Solicitors -^--^--^-
    This is also an immigration lawyer site, and it has an assessment form, information about the immigration criteria and new developments in the Canadian Immigration related subjects.

    [O] [I] Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials-^--^-
    "The Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC) is responsible for facilitating the recognition and portability of educational and occupational credentials, obtained in Canada or abroad, by acting as a national clearinghouse and information-sharing centre, a data-gathering organization, and a referral service."
    Note that this is not a substitute the the various organizations that will have to assess and test your abilities if you intend to practice in a regulated profession in Canada, such as engineering or medicine.

    [L] [I] Humayun Siddiqi, Attorney at Law -^--^--^-
    This is also an immigration lawyer site, but it is a recent addition and I will comment on it later.



    [L] [I] Canadian Immigration FAQ, from Visa Seminars International
    [L] [I] Canadian Immigration FAQ, from Campbell, Cohen, Attorneys
    [L] [I] Canadian Immigration FAQ, from Colin R. Singer
    [C] [I]Some Immigration related questions answered From Cultural eXpress


    Before putting down your 500 CAD on the line, you might want to estimate your chances of getting PR, and whether you would need professional assistance or not. The below links will give you an insight about your probable chance of success. Use the South African link for a quick-but-dumb (ie, not detailed) first approximation. The lawyer and consultant assessments will give you more detailed analyses of your chances.

    [O] [I] Online Assessment, from Canadian High Commission, South Africa
    [L] [I] Free Assessment, from Guidy Mamann, Law Offices
    [L] [I] Free Assessment, from Colin R. Singer, Law Offices
    [L] [I] Free Assessment, from Campbell Cohen, Attorneys
    [L] [I] Free Assessment, from Ron Beirnes, Immigration Consultant
    More information you might want to check out:


    Back to NCG's Canada Page page

    [CIR Home]
    Member of
    Canadian Immigration
    [Random Link]

    Canada HyperBanner Advertisement

    Member of Canada HyperBanner

    Please send any comments and/or problems about this site to
    © 1997 Neyir Cenk Gökçe
    Animated Canadian Flag courtesy of Sam Cooks, visit EyeMagic for more custom animations.
    This page has been visited times since September 7, 1997.

    The URL of this site is:
    Last Updated: December 6, 1997


    Get Netscape to view Clock


    Licensed by the Canadian Internet Licensing Board